So you might be asking yourself, when should I consult a Kinesiologist? Great question!
The practice of Kinesiology includes the assessment of human movement, performance and physical function. Kinesiologists are human movement specialists that aid in the rehabilitation, prevention and management of various health conditions that may cause physical limitations. Their goal is to improve human physical functioning in many areas of life including sport, work, exercise, and activities of daily living.
In order to practice Kinesiology, you must be registered with the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario. This is a regulatory body that is mandated by the Ontario Government to protect the public from malpractice. To become registered, Kinesiologists must complete a minimum of a 4 year University degree in Kinesiology or a related field. Personal trainers on the other hand, only require a brief introduction to courses in anatomy and Kinesiology to become certified.
Kinesiologists are able to work with everyone, from healthy individuals to those with limitations or chronic diseases. Kinesiologists are specialized in their ability to provide individualized exercise programs based on fitness levels and health conditions. They provide a very holistic approach from their backgrounds in biomechanics, anatomy, nutrition, physiology, psychology, and neuroscience.
When to see a Kinesiologist;
- If you wish to improve your quality of life through improved movement and performance
- Experience a physical limitation, injury, or medical condition
- Obtained a referral from your doctor to engage in physical rehabilitation
So what to expect when you first see a Kinesiologist?
- The Kinesiologist will first take a complete health history in order to identify your goals, objectives, and any limitations
- Next will be a complete assessment of your movement patterns which may include functional movement testing, flexibility testing, strength testing, cardiovascular testing, gait assessment, and posture analysis.
- Afterwards the Kinesiologist will discuss the findings with you, in order to create a personalized exercise plan to meet your specific goals and objectives
- Finally, the Kinesiologist will teach you a variety of exercises and the skills you need to help improve movement, performance, strength, mobility, alignment and posture
Sarah Zahab at Continuum Fitness is a Registered Kinesiologist and can help you move forward along your health continuum!