Summer is finally here! We’ve been dreaming of this season for months. We want to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather but sometimes, the heat can be overwhelming. It can be difficult to train in the hot, humid weather, especially when we have a race on the horizon.
Here are our top tips for Exercising Safely Outdoors in Hot/Humid Weather:
1. Get ahead of/ Remain/Re: Hydrate – drink before, during, and after workouts. My homemade electrolyte drink: 1L Water, 1/2 tsp unrefined grey sea salt, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1-2 tsp maple syrup
2. Adjust workout times: Early morning or evening works best
3. Reduce/Monitor intensity: watch for signs of heat exhaustion (dizziness, fatigue, headache, muscle cramps, nausea)
4. Bring your workout indoors: If you find cardiovascular machines boring, try strength training or join a new indoor class
5. Cross train: Swimming and biking will be less intense and cooler options
6. Dress appropriately: Wear cool, wicking and light coloured fabrics. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
7. Plan ahead: Look for cool, tree lined, shady routes
8. Weather watch: Before you head out, check for local heat advisories and warnings